Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:31:19 +1100
From:      Tim Robbins <tim@robbins.dropbear.id.au>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inconsistent use of data units

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 12:28:25PM +1100, Michael Wardle wrote:

> Like it or not, 1000 bytes != 1024 bytes.  KB (or preferably kB) means
> 1000 bytes, and that's not the units we usually talk about.

Like it or not, kilobytes are what people have been using for years.
Sure, it's a little confusing having "kilo" mean different things depending
on context, but not nearly as confusing as trying to get everyone to use
these new cat-food units.

Can you give an example of an operating system other than Linux (and then,
last time I checked only the kernel used KiB etc.)?

Tim