Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 1995 08:21:56 -0700
From:      pascal@netcom.com (Richard A Childers)
To:        questions@freebsd.org

> I wonder if this classifies as "negligence" on the part of cdrom.com ... or
> does it qualify as "harassment" ?

"I would classify the above as 'uninformed babble.'"

< chuckle >

Stick to matters you are knowledgeable about, Jordan. I'll do the same.

"Please try to at least make a minimal effort at verifying your facts
 before hurling such wild statements about.  cdrom.com does not control
 the FreeBSD mailing lists nor the machines that run on them and the
 problem in question occurred from a majordomo problem on a FreeBSD
 Project machine.  This required that a previous user list be loaded
 off of backup tape and there was some resulting confusion from this.."

Don't know whether <cdrom.com> is liable, or not. The connection between
the two cannot be asserted, and de-asserted, as convenient.

I'm glad to see my diagnosis was right on the mark. Pretty uninformed !!

"I think it should be fixed by now.  Did you ever consider sending this
 to postmaster@freebsd.org?  No, I suppose that would have been far too
 obvious when questions@freebsd.org would do as well.."

Come back to your spool after a week, expecting it to be a few dozen
messages long, and find it a few hundred or a few thousand, and tell
me how you feel. Will you be looking for the responsible party, with
a glint in your eye ?

If you're paying on a per-message basis, yes, this could result in a
legal conflict. Calling it "uninformed babble" isn't very far-sighted.
Why should an individual be liable for carelessness of your admins ?
You picked them, didn't you ?

No, I didn't think of sending it to <postmaster>. Sorry about that. But,
insofar as you are a responsible person who takes prompt action to fix
things, it was, in some respects, the best thing to do ( for me, at least ).

Besides, it clearly was affecting others, and it was pretty clear that the
administration was scoffing and saying "it couldn't be" ( while running
around frantically fixing it in the background ). A little fresh air ...

Thanks.

-- richard