Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 2000 14:08:12 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NO_TCSH issue

On Wed 2000-09-06 (05:22), Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:
> If you build with this option and remove /bin/(t)csh, buildworld will die
> when /usr/bin/vgrind is called like so:

Well, this is obvious.  You can't remove /bin/sh either.

> However,  I thought all shell scripts were supposed to be Bourne.  This is
> the only exception I could find.  IMO, it makes sense to remove things that
> are not being built, but if something depends on them, doesn't that violate
> POLA?

"POLA" entails having /bin/csh that is csh-compatible.  NO_TCSH is for
people who don't want to build and install new versions of csh.  It
doesn't mean that you can run the system without it, and definitely
doesn't mean that you can remove it and expect things to build.

NOPERL is another example.  Try build your kernel without /usr/bin/perl.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
Sunesi Clinical Systems