Date:      Sun, 28 Nov 1999 16:01:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
Cc:        ken@kdm.org (Kenneth D. Merry), dgilbert@velocet.ca, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ahc problems (with vinum?)

>> > Copyright (c) 1992-1999 FreeBSD Inc.  > Copyright (c) 1982, 1986,
>> 1989, 1991, 1993 > The Regents of the University of California. All
>> rights reserved.  > FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #0: Mon Nov 22 13:38:07 CST
>> 1999 > root@host:/usr/src/sys/compile/DEMO
>>
>> The first problem is that you're running 3.3-R with two 7890s.
>> Justin worked around a bug in the 7890 in the Adaptec driver
>> shortly after 3.3 came out.  I'd recommend at the very least
>> updating your Adaptec driver, although depending on your
>> circumstances, it might be easier to just update to the latest
>> -stable.

Joe> Noted.  One is an onboard controller, part of the ASUS P2B-DS.
Joe> This particular system was supposed to have a 3940, but I didn't
Joe> have one so I crammed in two 2940-type controllers.  Would this
Joe> also be an issue for a system with the onboard controller and a
Joe> 3940-type controller?

In my case... this happens with single or multiple controlers and I'm
not using the 3940's.  I am already running 3.3-STABLE (as of
Thursday, I believe) because vinum improved quite a bit after
3.3-RELEASE.

Joe> I thought a bus reset was supposed to deal with bus phase
Joe> issues...?  But I'm admittedly an armchair SCSI quarterback.  I
Joe> used to see Suns that had a heterogeneous SCSI array of mildly
Joe> incompatible SCSI devices routinely go through the
Joe> jam-reset-restart sequence.

One strange datapoint to add.  I was looking at the system in
preparation for putting another SCSI controller into it so I could get
back the errors... and I removed the external terminator from the LVD
chain to read it's label.  Immediately, the screen started scrolling
again with ahc messages --- This leads me to believe that everything
is stuck waiting for the card to un-wedge.  Now... I'd already hit
CTRL-ALT-DEL to see if I could unwedge things... so the system didn't
come back at that point, but I thought it was interesting.

The following is my carefully typed sequence of messages from the
console: (does not include messages after the terminator was
removed).

(da5:ahc0:0:9;0): SCB 0xd5 - time out in dataout phase, SEQADDR == 0x5e
(da5:ahc0:0:9;0): BDR message in message buffer
(da5:ahc0:0:9;0): SCB 0xd5 - time out in dataout phase, SEQADDR == 0x5d
(da5:ahc0:0:9;0): no longer in timeout, status 34b
ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset.  4 SCBs aborted

Dave.