Date:      Tue, 08 Jan 2002 17:38:03 +1030
From:      Michael Gratton <mike@vee.net>
To:        pjklist@ekahuna.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using bash as default shell for root

Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> Statically linking bash, copying it to /bin and
> updating /etc/shells solves the 1st problem, but it won't get updated
> as the rest of the system (or the bash port) does.

Perhaps you could build the port with "PREFIX=/" (and a few other bits
of fine tuning to ensure it doesn't mess up things around "/" too much).

I guess the question is, if you're installing into /bin, do you need
another version in /usr/local/bin? Just install it once with the
different prefix and you should be fine.

> And I wasn't sure
> there were any other issues to using bash as root's default shell.

It is apparently incompatible with sh in a few areas, but I've never run
into any problems using it for day-to-day work as root. I'd suggest you
would probably be safe using it as the default shell, IMHO, of course. 8)

Mike.

--
Mike Gratton <mike@vee.net>
   Leader in leachate production and transmission since 1976.