Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 14:43:19 -0500
From:      Eric_Stanfield@kenokozie.com
To:        "alex huppenthal" <alex@aspenworks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW ? hacked?

I would do:

[exs@mrtg]> sockstat -4u |more

and see what process is talking to that address.  I set up a linux box not
to long ago and before I got back to it to tighten it down, some punk from
an Israeli dsl provider rooted it and set up an app that would let him
access the box.  The process he loaded changed its name in ps to something
harmless like cron or something (I don't recall) and had I not looked at
netstat (which shows more on a linux box) I would never have found out what
happened.

I really hope you didn't get rooted as one of the main reasons I go about
preaching the goodness of all things freebsd is that I've never had a bsd
box hacked.

Eric Stanfield, K2Access
Keno Kozie Associates
222 N LaSalle #1500
Chicago, IL 60606
(312) 332-3000

                    "alex huppenthal"
                    <alex@aspenworks.co        To:     "free" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
                    m>                         cc:
                    Sent by:                   Subject:     IPFW ? hacked?
                    owner-freebsd-isp@F
                    reeBSD.ORG

                    04/24/01 02:32 PM

I setup a pipe - number 5, and set the bandwidth to 20Mbits.

Interestingly, I see 205.149.189.91 as a destination IP address at port
5999
collecting data from x.x.18.3

I don't know 205.149.189.91 or have any process running to that site.
However, the numbers are increasing.

Anyone seen this behavior?

00005:  20.000 Mbit/s    0 ms   50 sl. 1 queues (1 buckets) droptail
    mask: 0x00 0x00000000/0x0000 -> 0x00000000/0x0000
BKT Prot ___Source IP/port____ ____Dest. IP/port____ Tot_pkt/bytes Pkt/Byte
Drp
  0 tcp       x.x.18.3/1027   205.149.189.91/5999  76043 19344253  0    0
0