Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:38:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      jaydub@qoolio.org (Jeff Warrington)
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems with linux IPC functions

okay here is the situation...

At my company, we are using IBM DB2 as our database. Our
web application uses Apache and PHP w/support for DB2
compiled in. We have been using FreeBSD as our webserver
OS, with the apache binary being a Linux binary running
under emulation. The reason for this is that there are
no DB2 client libraries available for FreeBSD.

We have been compiling the app under redhat linux 6.2
which uses glibc 2.1.x. Everything has worked just
fine. I was planning on rolling out new apache
binaries in lieu of the recent apache vulnerability
and wished to take this opportunity to switch to
compiling the app on a debian linux box. The issue
is that debian uses a newer version of glibc 2.2.x
(as does any newer redhat versions). When I attempt
to run the apache binary now under the freebsd emulation
I have problems when running in SSL mode.

The error logs show the following and the app does not
start:

[Wed Jul 17 15:04:02 2002] [error] (22)Invalid argument: shmctl() could not stat
segment #1048576
semctl(IPC_SET): Invalid argument

The app starts and works fine in non-SSL mode.

The first thing I did to attempt to address this is to update
the freebsd linux emulation package to 7.1 from 6.1 which
in theory should bring the linux libc up to 2.2.x. This allowed
the binary to start w/o complaining about the lib versioning
but I ended up with the error above.  I haven't been able to
get past this despite attempting both debian and a recent
redhat installation. Since it all works fine when compiled
under a glibc 2.1.x installation (even if the freebsd
linux emulation is 2.2.x) I have to assume that there is
an issue with the freebsd linux emulation vis a vis the
handling of the linux IPC functions.

any help would be appreciated.
Jeff

--