Date:      Sat, 23 Nov 1996 13:21:14 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        stesin@gu.net (Andrew Stesin), fenner@parc.xerox.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, jkh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-ALPHA install failure

>*shrug* Bruce recently posted the results of some tests he performed,
>which matched with my empirical observations that the NCR BIOS reads
>the contents of the MBR and reports its geometry to match.
>
>I've lost cou8nt of the number of NCR-using systems I've installed;
>I'm sure that I've used the DD option before and it's worked, but I've
>certainly had more than a few cases where users have selected it and
>been bitten.

Hmm, we could try to write the fake MBR so it represents some sane
geometry in that particular case.  That would help i guess.

Somebody with an NCR will have to do it though.

I belive you can get away with it if you use the 2.2-ALPHA boot
floppy, and use the wizard mode in the fdisk menu.

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.