Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 00:33:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      0000-Administrator <root@counterintelligence.cdrom.com>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Routing Problems

**** I just wanted to check to see if I did this right, I changed the
/etc/hosts file to have two entries

127.0.0.1    localhost
127.0.0.1    counterintelligence.cdrom.com   counterintelligence

so that when the ppp0 interface is not up (ip address 206.86.94.101) then
the resolver uses /etc/hosts instead of then nameserver so telnetting to
counterintelligence or counterintelligence.cdrom.com  is routed to
127.0.0.1 which goes through the loopback device lo0

(counterintelligence.cdrom.com is also mdean.vip.best.com)

also i do a:   route add -host 206.86.94.101 -interface lo0
in my rc files so that once the ppp interface comes up (and even when it
is down) packets headed for the ppp device go through the loopback, this
seems to work but I don't really entirely understand the function of
-interface (the man page said so)

when the ppp device comes up i end up with a routing table like:

Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags     Refs     Use     Netif
Expire
default            ns3.best.com       UGSc        1        0      ppp0
localhost          localhost          UH          0       53       lo0
ns3.best.com       mdean.vip.best.com UH          2        0      ppp0
mdean.vip.best.com lo0                UHS         0        0       lo0

Which seems to work well --- kind of clumsy, but I guess it would be ok
then to change counterintelligence in the host file to 206.86.94.101?
Would it not.

ALSO MORE IMPORTANTLY ----- Can anyone tell me how to do something
equivalent to IP Masquerading in linux on a FreeBSD box, I really want to
change my work machine (which is masquerading a 20 winbox lan) over to
FreeBSD, because linux in lame performance wise (for instance when I am
doing a "tar czvf backup.tgz /" on the machine (it is a ppro-180 w/64mb
2 ethernet cards and a modem, serves as our router) the networking [we are
talking a 28.8 modem here] slows to a halt --- it takes a minute and a
half to login from the outside through the modem, i tried this with
freebsd and it doesn't lag the same way.

The good thing is that Linux masquerading works with ping and traceroute
(ICMP) in addition to ftp and netscape now, I'd love to have the same for
FreeBSD so I could throw my Linux machine in the Trash.  Please point me
somewhere.