Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 2017 17:24:17 +0000
From:      Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov@gmail.com>
To:        Matthew Rezny <rezny@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, Steve Wills <swills@freebsd.org>, x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On 22 February 2017 at 14:46, Matthew Rezny <rezny@freebsd.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 February 2017 14:36:36 Emil Velikov wrote:

>> > First thank you for contacting us.
>> > Yes upstreaming as always been the plan. We still have to first make up
>> > our mind on how we deal with the libudev dependency either through our
>> > home baked equivalent or via a heavily modified libudev
>>
>> With Mesa 13.0.0 the triple libudev/sysfs/libdrm codepaths were
>> merged. I've pulled a helper to libdrm to deal with that.
>> Personally I'd suggest keeping all the chaos in there.
>>
> As of Mesa 13 we do let libdrm handle that (no more patches to Mesa for it),
> but we are patching in support for libdevq, a minimal alternative to libudev.
> Now that we also have libudev-devd, a partial implementation of libudev atop
> devd, we need to reconsider libdevq's existence.

Merely pointing out that there should be no reason why to have any
such platform specifics in Mesa. If something does flag up - shout !

>> For 17.0.0 we also removed the --with-sha1 'fun' heuristics. That and
>> more can be found on the mesa-maintainers@ ;-)
>>
>> > In the meantime we can work on upstreaming all other parts :)
>>
>> Yes, please.
>>
> It has been my intent to upstream as much as possible, but I was trying to get
> us caught up to current before doing so. No point in submitting a patch for a
> section of code that may be gone in the next version after all. Differences in
> build system is lower priority, top will be the patches that were required to
> avoid compiler errors (several bits in clover did not compile on any version
> of LLVM/Clang I tried without patching), which should be reviewed.

You really do not want to waste time doing the same work multiple times :-)

Just send anything and everything as soon as possible - even alongside
the initial FreeBSD submission, please ?
Otherwise BSD (in general) will never get out of this constant game of chase.

Fwiw I'm looking at some of the shebang stuff atm - most/all of that
is dead code and I'll just nuke it ;-)

Thanks
Emil