Date:      Sun, 2 Nov 1997 12:39:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>
To:        Tom <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggested addition to /etc/security

I've thought about this before, it would be interesting to be able to
limit the rate of i/o per second for a process. Since find isn't really
eating much user cpu, it is all that time spent in the kernel thrashing
the disk that makes the difference.  Maybye even better you could limit
the _physical i/o_, this is really the same reason any user can seriously
lag the system with a:

  cat /dev/urandom > /dev/null

This is really a flaw in the prioritization design that only CPU is
considered and not i/o (unless I am mistaken, which is emminently
possible)