Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:42:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proxy Server Recommendations ...

On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> Looking at reducing bandwidth usage at our local University, and have
> proposed setting up a proxy server so that there isn't *as much* traffic
> going out related to the WWW ...
>
> Anyone have any recommendations on one that is good?  I'm going to be
> running the test on a FreeBSD box, and trying to push it as an end
> solution, so something in ports is great...

Squid -- ports/www/squid22.  I have been using it for a couple of
years, ranging from a 486SX-25 with 16MB RAM and a 50MB cache, to a
PIII-500 with 256MB RAM and a 19GB cache (it doesn't need much CPU,
really, but RAM requirements go up with the number of objects being
cached).  If my figures are right, it cuts down on our HTTP and FTP
traffic by about 30%.  Depending on your traffic patterns, the results
could be either better or worse.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users.  It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."