Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 2002 09:09:52 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Jev <jev@ecad.org>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gethostbyname_r() fbsd equiv?

Jev wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 08:40:48AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> The "real" gethostbyname_r() that takes 3 params is what the code Im
> attempting to port uses. As I implied earlier, my C competence is far
> below par, so for me to write this code would be far for trivial for
> _me_ :)

This is the HP/UX or AIX version of the interface.

> As for paying someone to implement it, Im porting the software for fun,
> and spending cash conflicts with my idea of fun :)

The reason I even suggested it is that the effort is unlikely to
find its way into FreeBSD proper, so it's pretty much throw-away
code that would take someone some time to do, and after which,
they would not reap any additional benefit from having done the
work.  That translates to "pay-for-pain" work.  8-)

> Im porting partysip, which is a SIP proxy/registrar amongst other
> things. I think it would be pretty nasty kludge to have the port depend
> on squid. Or do you suggest that I pull squids implementation of
> gethostbyname_r() and make a patch for partysip? (actually that seems
> obvious now).
> I think there may be license conflicts there as the particular part of
> code is LGPL. Licensing issues are not my forte nor my interest :)

You'd need to distribute them as seperate things, to save the
License problems, if you went that route, which is why I
cautioned you.  As a seperate thing with another implementation
available that wasn't under GPL, the fact that the interface was
available from a non-GPL source would save you, as long as you
didn't distribute it as part of it.  I hate licenses that do that.
8-(.

You might be able to find a "partsip person" who's willing to do
the work for you, if you can lay it off as a shared interest thing.

-- Terry