Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 23:24:36 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: higher density diskettes

As Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> > I have a set of dos utils that allows you to format and use 1.72meg disks
> > under dos...

> Put it up in ftp://freefall.cdrom.com/incoming.

The directory has been unwriteable last time i've been checking.

Anyway, our current fdformat(8) can format almost any uniform format
you can think of.  The problem is that all those "high density"
formats are non-uniform formats (sectors have different lengths across
the track), which neither our current fd driver nor the BIOS will
understand.

Guys, don't be too excited about all this... it's not really worth it.
Our goal is to provide an installation medium as "generic" as
possible, i.e. it should fit onto a normal 1.2 MB floppy, and it
should be ***standard***!, so no specific tools are required
*anywhere*.

--
cheers, J"org

joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de -- http://www.sax.de/~joerg/