Date:      Sat, 11 May 2002 10:59:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lute Mullenix <lute@cableone.net>
To:        Yorgos Christoforou <y.christoforou@chello.nl>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: problem with ftp

on May 11, Yorgos Christoforou pondered:

> hi,
>
> I've got a problem in downloading freebsd through internet.
> Although my pentium starts the installation normally
> detects the ethernet adapter, it cannot recognize the
> or configure the DHCP servers (blocks while detecting)
> and it seems to me that the network configuration card
> that  appears then is pointless, since even if i fill all my
> network settings of my cable provider, it ends with an error
> for not resolving the ftp.freeebsd.org address.
>
> Has anybody had the same problem ?
>
> thanks for helping

Don't know if this is going to be of any help, but I installed 4.5 RELEASE
completely from the Internet, downloaded the floppy images, and made the
install floppies, let DHCP set up the connection and did the install. This
is on an IBM NetVista with a LinkSys NIC (PCI), it all went very smoothly.
However I have an older IBM PC 750 with an ISA 3Com NIC in it, and it
seems to be doing the same thing that you are talking about. It just won't
make connection, even if I enter the information by hand. I had two of
these cards, and neither one seems to work. And yes, FBSD finds the card
on boot up. I must confess that since I had the newer machine up and
running, I didn't pursue the problem with the older one, though at some
point I hope to have it up and running with FBSD too.

Lute
Triple Boot:
FreeBSD 4.5 Release
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0
Windows ME (Hey, it came with the system)