Date:      Fri, 08 Dec 2000 10:07:39 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   __asm help..

I'm trying to write  some experimental mutex operations similar to those
in -current, but to do differnt things (e.g. a read/write lock)
however, I am having some problems with the __asm  stuff.

What I want to do is to define some operations that will
assemble down to:
	pushfl
	cli
	[stuff]
	popfl

I can generate the code, but it seems to me that there should be
a way of telling gcc that you have just pushed an item onto the stack,
so that if you were to have some C code between the push and po
(of the flags reg) the compiler has a correct idea of where the
SP is. I can imagine that it doesn't matter so it may be that there
is no constaint for that purpose (I read the gcc asm info pages)
but I wanted to make sure that that is the case because if it does turn
out to be important, it may manifest itself as a wierd bug sometime
in 2002.

The current pushfl code in the kernel has the following:
        __asm __volatile("pushfl; popl %0" : "=r" (ef));
which has no long term effect on the stack pointer so I cannot
use it as a guide.

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org