Date:      Tue, 03 Feb 2004 23:04:24 +0200
From:      "V@dim" <vadimg@sacura.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help to configure FreeBSD as server

I configure my home FreeBSD OS as server. I run FreeBSD under
WinXP with VMWare Workstation 4.
On my work, Web Programmers company, FreeSD is configured so
(DNS under FreeBSD is configured for zone "office.net" with hosts host1
& host2),
that from WinXP I can ping host1 and host2 without domain name:

windows xp console:
ping host1 -> ok
ping host2 -> ok
ping host1.office.net -> ok
ping host2.office.net -> ok

XP PC is user of workgroup, DNS-suffix is empty. Only DNS in
LAN settings is entered. That's all.

I have configured my home DNS under FreeBSD with office template. I have
entered DNS,
but at home I can ping only full host names (with domains):

windows xp console:
ping host1 -> no reply
ping host2 -> no reply
ping host1.office.net -> ok
ping host2.office.net -> ok

Why? I can't understand. I try to solve this problem 5 days, but
nothing helps me.
When I entered DNS suffix: office.net -> OK. But in my office that works
without DNS-suffix.