Date:      Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:44:01 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64 bit times revisited..

At 1:44 PM -0700 10/26/01, David O'Brien wrote:
>On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 01:29:53PM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>  >  We are hoping to bring on new platforms of sparc64
>  > and ia-64 for the 5.0-timeframe (or certainly before the 6.0
>>  timeframe).  It would be exceedingly stupid to start out those
>>  64-bit platforms on 32-bit time_t's, when we KNOW we will have
>  > switch to 64-bit times at some later point.
>
>I disagree.  I have experience trying to run our "lesser" [used]
>platform, most of you do not.  Keeping things bug-for-bug and
>"feature"-for-"feature" identical is important.

Once sparc64 shows up, I'll be getting just as much experience
as you will...  Same for PowerPC.  (which is to say, I plan to
run FreeBSD on three hardware architectures, one of which will
be 64-bit).

>  > Given 64-bit time_t's for the new platforms, we might as well go
>>  for 64-bit times on all platforms (although we obviously can
>  > not MFC that back into the 4.x-branch for 32-bit platforms).
>  > I don't feel quite so strongly about 64-bit time_t's on 32-bit
>  > architectures, but it does seem like the right thing to do.
>
>64-bit for FreeBSD or 32-bit for FreeBSD.  No 1/2's please.

I suspect we just have slightly different priorities...

I'll pound the table for 64-bit on 64-bit (particularly for all
those new platforms), and merely vote yes for 64-bit on 32-bit.

You can give a lukewarm vote of yes for 64-bit on 64-bit, and
then pound the table that time_t should be the same on all
platforms...   Seems like we should be able to come up with an
agreeable solution here!  :-)