Date:      Wed, 20 Nov 1996 09:19:44 -0800
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        michaelh@cet.co.jp
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELENG_2_2 and CVS

In article <Pine.SV4.3.95.961120171708.9101A-100000@parkplace.cet.co.jp> Mike
Hancock writes:
> I discovered that my CVS tree was corrupt after trying the following:
>
> cd /jaz
> cvs co -r RELENG_2_2 src	# -r implies -P
>
> The checkout failed and later that night my cvsup cron job failed with the
> error "Possible reference of NIL".

*Blush*, how embarrassing.  There are still a couple of cases
involving badly spammed CVS repositories that can cause this sort
of thing to happen.  If you still have a backup of the bad repository,
I'd greatly appreciate getting a copy of the offending subtree.
My current unreleased working version of CVSup has fixes for the
two problems I was aware of.  But neither of them involved null
pointer dereferences, so this one could be new to me.

> So I rm -rf /jaz/cvs; cvsup'ed the tree again; rm -rf /jaz/src; checked
> out 2.2 release; built a new kernel and things look fine now for testing
> 2.2.
>
> /jaz/src was current.  Which brings me to a question, should I have done a
> cvs release src?

No, "cvs release" doesn't affect the repository at all.  It might affect
your logfiles, but that's all.  There's nothing wrong with doing a
simple "rm -rf" of your working directory when you're done with it.