Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 19:20:32 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        jrclark@netview.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: warning: /usr/lib/libutil.so.2.0: ...

> Now when I login, I get the following message:
>
> ld.so: warning: /usr/lib/libutil.so.2.0: minor version 0 older than expected
> 1, using it anyway

My guess is that you didn't reboot after the compilation, so the old
version of libutil.so is still in the shared library cache. As 'login'
was built using the new set of libraries, it expects to find the new
version and complains when it gets handed the old one from the cache.
Either reboot or do something like

ldconfig /usr/lib /usr/X11R6/lib /usr/local/lib

BTW One thing I didn't mention last time was that you'll need to
compile a new kernel. 'make world' doesn't do this for you as it's too
complicated for it to get it right - the config file syntax may have
changed, some of the options might not exist any more, there may be
new ones you want to add, etc.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk