Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 11:07:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Joel Dinel <dinjo@touchtunes.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP and hosts

On Fri, 3 Aug 2001, Joel Dinel wrote:

> Is there any way to have FreeBSD 4.X automagically update /etc/hosts
> when using a cable modem with DHCP? For example, I have
> box1.mydomain.com that gets its IP via DHCP. If I 'ping box1', I get
> 'ping: cannot resolve box1: Unknown host'. Surely enough, there's no
> entry in /etc/hosts for 'box1'. This is on a home PC that reboots
> quite often, and the IP lease is quite short, resulting in a lot of IP
> changes.

	Run a local nameserver, have the DHCP client dynamically update
	the local nameserver. I don't know if the current dhclient has the
	ability to update a DNS server or not...so you may have to run a
	different DHCP client.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
  "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"