Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:33:57 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
Cc:        Drew Derbyshire <ahd@kew.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (over)zealous mail bouncing

On Thu, 24 Jul 1997, Jonathan Mini wrote:

> What I'm saying is that my hostname doesn't have a DNS entry in the "outside
> world" and therefore sending a message from my machine is automatically an
> invalid host. THe only real option I have is to spoof the information that
> sendmail sends out, ask my ISP for a addressless DNS entry (make a DNS entry
> that has no A entry) or change my hostname to something valid.

Two other _REAL_ options:
a) Find anyone on the net who is willing to let you have an email account
on their machine. That's how it always used to be done.

b)Get hold of someone who's willing to act as your mail relay, and
then change your email From: & Reply-To: addresses' to that host.
Then if you only have an IP number or whatever then the relay can just
forward it, or if you have nothing more than a dynamic IP then you can set
up sendmail to collect it for you from their machine.

c)Move to a reasonable ISP.

Personally I'd go with c.

--
Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342