Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:36:19 +0100
From:      Shaun Amott <shaun@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Babak Farrokhi <babak@farrokhi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation directory best practices

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 01:27:20PM +0330, Babak Farrokhi wrote:
> I wonder if there is any particular guideline for installation of web based
> application (the ports which install web pages, like www/wordpress,
> www/serendipity or databases/phpmyadmin).

The guidelines we have now are that most ports should install into
www/${PORTNAME}; this means default/unsecured scripts are not visible
until they have been configured, and also avoids using a directory which
is server (apache?) specific.

I think www/data/${PORTNAME} is probably acceptable if the script is
simple and/or needs no configuration.

> Some ports install web pages into "www/${PORTNAME}" while others install
> into "www/data-dist/${PORTNAME}" or even into "share/${PORTNAME}".

Installing into www/data-dist is completely wrong.

> However most of these ports let you override the installation path by
> defining particular variables, but user should review Makefile before
> installation to find out which variable should be set.

I tend to use WWWDIR (which excludes PREFIX); but as you say, there is
no consistency amongst ports.

--
Shaun Amott [ PGP: 0x6B387A9A ]
    Scientia Est Potentia.