Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2003 20:56:13 -0800
From:      "Maksim Yevmenkin" <Maksim.Yevmenkin@cw.com>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: PPP in -direct mode does not execute any chat scripts

Warner,

> : So you see it is probably possible to build a tty-like interface,
> : but i do not think it really worth the trouble. In fact one
> : can do it right now with the help of nmdm(4) driver. It is a
> : simple wrapper that would pass the data between socket and
> : /dev/nmdm0{A|B}.
>=20
> That's one way.

too many moving parts :)

> Another is to have some control program that interacts with RFCOMM to
> establish a 'connection' between endpoints and sets the various
> parameters and gives userland access to it as a tty.

sure, but userland somehow *must* know which tty to use. only
control program knows which tty it just created, so the control
program *must* run userland and *must* tell which tty to use.

again if you want to run server, than control program somehow
must be informed that incomming connections on RFCOMM channel X
should be handled by server application Y.

all this make control program somewhat like inetd.=20

my point is that in most cases you do not need all this stuff.
there is no point in tty interface. even if you do something
like wireless printing (BTW this also goes via RFCOMM). all
you need to do is just setup filter that would accept data,
open RFCOMM connection and feed data into printer via RFCOMM.=20

> barring that, you'll may be able to run chat on stdin/stdout before
> ppp gets into the act and get the number dialed that way and have ppp
> -direct run afterwards.

that's another option. but why duplicate the code and make things
more complicated for user? why user have to setup additional chat
script just to dial a GPRS number? if i add 'enable =
scripts-in-direct-mode'
option to PPP all user would have to do is to add 'set dial <script>'
line and take advantage of all wonderful things that PPP chat can
do :) i think PPP is the right place for it.

i would try to create the patches for PPP and submit them for
review. it should not be that hard. or perhaps i could fallback
to old pppd(8) that seems does not have this limitation.

thanks,
max