Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 14:02:36 +0700 (NSS)
From:      Max Khon <max@iclub.nsu.ru>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD PCNet/PCI troubles

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> How about giving us a complete description of the problem, including
> what (if anything) differs between the Linux and FreeBSD
> configurations of the card.

Linux uses PCNet32/PCNet PCI optimized driver (dword i/o operations),
while FreeBSD uses Generic LANCE/PCNet driver (word i/o access mode)
btw, is there anybody going to write PCNet32/PCNet PCI driver for FreeBSD?
Linux (and Win95 ;) have no troubles with these network cards

> For that matter, have you tried running Linux on this _particular_
> machine?

yep. and it runs perfectly. the only reason to against installing Linux is
that our main server is a FreeBSD box (YP password shadowing will not work
with Linux clients)

/max