Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 15:11:14 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kurt Werle <kurt@twoface.shiftmanager.net>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Marc van Kempen <marc@bowtie.nl>, Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>, John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, "John L. Utz III" <john@utzweb.net>, Brent Verner <brent@rcfile.org>, <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, <rwatson@freesbsd.org.shiftmanager.net>, <calvin.austin@sun.com>, <brian@collab.net>, <bod@freebsdfoundation.org>
Subject:   Re: patchset 2 report (billh's resignation)

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Marc van Kempen wrote:
> > If you'd just say "Bill you're an **** for insulting me the way that
> > you do, but I have since researched the mailing list and commit logs
> > and acknowledge that you have made a big contribution to the whole
> > java porting process and more specifically to the hotspot port, and we
> > would have certainly consulted you had I known."
> >
> > Now is that so hard?
>
> You know, one doesn't typically -demand- recognition.

No, usually one demands pay for one's hard work.  In this case, Bill
clearly wanted recognition.  He has not been paid, nor was it promised.

In a Free Project, one usually doesn't need to demand recognition.
Usually the folks who can give it do so freely.

> If you're working on something of your own volition "for fun" you can't
> seriously expect anything for your efforts.

I think that you can and should expect recognition.  If it's clear that
you helped make an important component work in some large project, it may
actually be something you would put on your resume'.  If potential
employers can look that info up, it makes it even more likely.

> Rational people don't go stomping around demanding that the world be
> perfect for them.

No, rational people generally hope that the people in charge will do
reasonable things.  If they fail to do so, reasonable people try to change
that.  If that fails, reasonable people tend to walk away.

Bill has done a poor job, politically speaking, of trying to change what's
going on.  John has done an equally poor job of trying to keep the peace
and smooth things over.

Kurt
---
kwerle@pobox.com