Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 09:33:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Gang-Ryung Uh <uh@NU.cs.fsu.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3C589D PCMCIA card configuration

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, Gang-Ryung Uh wrote:

>   I am running 2.2.2 with PAO package on NEC versa laptop
>   I would like to configure 3C589D PCMCIA card for the laptop.
>
>   I looked at the config file and check IO address and interrupt
>   queue seems correct.
>
>   During the boot time:
>
> ------
>    ep0 not found at 0x300    <---- ???

that's correct.

>    PC-Card VLSI 82C146 (5 mem & 2 I/O windows)
>    pcic: controller irq 3
>    Card inserted, slot 0
>    Slot 0, unfielded interrupt (0)
>    ep0: utp/bnc[*UTP*] address 00:60:97:8d:d0:45

This is good.

>    After the boot, I typed "ifconfig -a"
>    ep0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICASE> mtu 1500
>             ether  00:60:..:..:..:..

>    I set the "rc.conf" as follows, but ep0 is not up and running:

The PCCARD system is a bit different from the standard since cards can
come & go and it takes a while once the kernel finishes to pick up the
card.  By the time it's config'd and attached, the ifconfig lines in
rc.network are long gone.  The PAO system, from
http://www.jp.freebsd.org/PAO/, can handle resetting the card after
insertion.

That, or manually re-ifconfig the card after inserting it.