Date:      Sat, 1 Jan 2000 02:00:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/15817: fix: ptex-pkfonts*

The following reply was made to PR ports/15817; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: asami@FreeBSD.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To: Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: 01 Jan 2000 01:59:41 -0800

  * From: Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>

  *  On Sat, 1 Jan 2000, Kentaro Inagaki / [iso-2022-jp] 稲垣 健太郎 wrote:

 He failed to mention that this change was by my request. :)

  *  # This port uses ${PORTSDIR} and `.include <bsd.port.pre.mk>'.
  *  # But does not need to use this.

  *  But using ${PORTSDIR} instead of ${.CURDIR}/../foo means that
  *  I can check out the ja-ptext-pkfonts118 port in /tmp make some
  *  changes to it and test it without having to checkout all of the
  *  other ports provided I have /usr/ports checked-out and up-to-date.
  *  This is a good thing IMHO and the reason why I committed the
  *  ports this way.

 You won't have to check out more than ja-ptex-pkfonts118 (the slave)
 and ja-ptex-pkfonts300 (the master) in that hypothetical scenario.  On
 the other hand, with the current Makefiles, if you want to check out a
 new set of ja-ptex-pkfonts* ports on a machine where you don't want to
 mess with /usr/ports, you'll have to check out other things as well
 (right now it's only Mk/bsd.*.mk, but that's already under a different
 toplevel dir).

  * 		     I could be wrong though, since it appears most
  *  of the other ports use ${.CURDIR}. :)

 Since these ports (master and slave ports) are usually upgraded in one
 go, I don't think assuming they are to be checked out as a set is an
 unreasonable assumption, and that's why I have recommended using
 ${.CURDIR} everywhere.

  *  # Furthermore this may cause a problem in the future.
  *
  *  Please explain.

 It requires reading bsd.port.pre.mk twice (the first time just to get
 ${PORTSDIR}).  This doesn't cause a problem yet, but it may in the
 future when the pre.mk part starts using more complicated constructs.
 (And we can't solve it by adding idempotency checks, as the master
 port may need to define things like USE_X_PREFIX before including
 pre.mk.)

 -PW