Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 09:33:58 +0000
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@pavilion.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Mike Pritchard <mpp@freefall.freebsd.org>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dup3() - I've thought it over and decided...

On Wed, Mar 19, 1997 at 01:06:03AM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> [Attach your detached tree?]
>
> And if you said 'y' you'd get your old process tree back, everything
> right where you left it.
>
> Now I'm not sure if ITS accomplished this by leaving your processes
> suspended and under the ownership of some foster parent for a certain
> period of time, or if it genuinely saved them to disk and then
> resurrected them on demand, but it sure was a bloody convenient
> feature which I've always missed! :-)

The package 'screen' allows a similar thing.  It manages virtual
shells on a terminal and allows you to detach the whole lot in one
go, and then reattach from anywhere.  I used to use it at University
when terminals were hard to hold on to all day (due to student demand).
Useful for that FTP that's going to take all day. :)

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser
Technical Manager       Email: joe@pavilion.net