Date:      19 Dec 1999 13:45:38 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cool little 100BaseTX switch - they're coming down in price

Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> At work I've got experience with 32-port D-Link 10/100 switched
> hub. It works fine except that it hangs occasionally (can be
> reset by power-cycling). So we don't buy them any more. Also
> at my pre-previous employer we had small 8-port 10Mpbs hubs from
> D-Link and they had the same problem, so it seems to be a family
> problem.

I have a D-Link DSH-5 5-port 10/100 dualspeed hub here at home,
and I'm reasonably happy with it. It certainly doesn't hang. One
of the machines here has trouble negotiating a working 100Mbit/s
link, but that's just as likely a problem of the Linux tulip driver.
After a couple of months I put a drop of oil into the bearing of
the cooling fan, which strongly suggested that treatment by the
noises it was making.

Somebody mentioned power supplies: Since I ordered the hub from
the US but live in 230V-land, I had to experiment a bit with the
transformers I had lying around. Eventually I ended up feeding the
hub's power supply 120V/50Hz and it's happy with that. 100V/50Hz
didn't work.

This should move to -chat.
--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de