Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2001 00:16:12 +0200
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@tobez.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: most complex code in BSD?

On Fri, Jun 22, 2001 at 09:47:44PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > Anything with "perl" code in it: it's a write-only programming
> > > language, useful only for throw-away code.
> >
> > Wow, wow.  Opinions are strong here, aren't they?  ;-)

> If you can show me tools to enforce style and correctness, I am
> willing to recant.

I am not going to comment on the tools to enforce correctness, as I am
not aware of any non-toy project which was programmed using such tools.

As for enforcing style, that's different.  You seem to imply here, and
please correct me if I am wrong, that some of the existing ways of doing
things in Perl should not be there, because everything can be done using
much limited number of ways.

I disagree with this opinion.  Like any other language, Perl has a
number of idiomatic ways of doing things.  Such idioms are immediately
recognized (and used) by any programmer who knows the language.  The
problem with Perl is that the sheer number of these idioms is larger
than in the majority of other languages.  This leads to a fact, that
Perl itself is a big language, and therefore it is difficult to learn
Perl well.  This also means that people who do not know Perl enough, or
at all, get an impression that Perl is a mess, a language without any
style, a write-only language.

> The lack of "one true way" to do everything means that perl is the
> programming language equivalent of "Standards are wonderful, because
> there are so many to choose from".

As with any other language, it is good to use the right tool (the right
language construct) for the job.  There are just more tools available.

=Anton.
--
May the tuna salad be with you.