Date:      Tue, 30 Sep 1997 23:42:54 -0500
From:      "Jonathan E. Lyons" <parrothd@midwest.net>
To:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Remotely power cycle a machine...?

	I believe APC has something, but I need to think if it was them or not(I
can check), but it was a battery back-up system that also had dail-up
capablities, for remote power cycles. We, had planned on using them for our
remote dail-in POP sites, to cycle our modem banks. unfortunatley they were
kinda pricey, but then again $50 was pricey at this place.. :)

Or you could throw an old 486,Intellegent APC backup(or whatever), and use
their software to cycle the power backup ( plug the other cpu into apc :) )?

At 12:57 AM 10/1/97 -0300, The Hermit Hacker wrote:

>Hi...
>
>	I'm having problems with one of my remote machines running
>2.2.2-RELEASE that seems to "feel" like a SCSI bus problem.  There isn't much
>I can do about it, since the machine is 2500 kilometers, and 3 provinces
>away :(  So, right now, she is down, and will be for the next 10hrs or
>so...very bad for business :(
>
>	Does anyone know of any way of doing a remote power cycle of a machine?
>
>	Mainly, what I was thinking, was the ability to throw on some sort of
>device that I can either telnet to (we have a Sparc20 on location, so maybe
>a device hanging off a serial port from that?) or dialup into on the phone,
>that I can force the machine to reboot itself?  Or maybe "terminate" the
>power and turn it back on again?
>
>Marc G. Fournier
>Systems Administrator @ hub.org
>primary: scrappy@hub.org           secondary:
scrappy@{freebsd|postgresql}.org

                                       ..-..               ..-..
Jonathan E. Lyons                 __  /-___-\  __     __  /     \  __
parrothd@midwest.net             (__\/___ ___\/__)   (__\//-oO--\\/__)
87 VFR700FII                        | \__|__/ |         (/ _---_ \)
Southern Illinois University        (   ___   )          \/__|__\/
School of Ag. LAN Admin.		  ( /     \ )          | [VFR] |
http://cplkagan.globaleyes.net/      \ |.-.| /           \ .---.{O)
                                        | |                |///|//
                                                           '---'