Date:      Wed, 20 Feb 2002 20:39:34 -0500
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: inconsistent use of data units

At 02:31 AM 2/21/02 +0200, you wrote:
>On 2002-02-21 10:53, Michael Wardle wrote:
> > Hi.
> >
> > There is a standard on how to represent data sizes here:
> > http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
> >
> > I suggest that the document is updated to consistently use this standard.
>
>Reading that page, all I have to say is "NO.  Good grief, no."
>Mebibit ?  Kibibit ?  Ye gods.
>
>I would probably prefer it if we consistently used KB for Kilobyte(s),
>and MB for Megabytes, but having different symbols for units that are
>multiples of 1024 and other symbols/contractions for multiples of 1000!
>No, please no.

Seeing this thread jogged my memory about something else.

Way, way back (10+ years), I was taught that a lower-case 'b,' e.g.,
2400bps, meant "bits" and a capital 'b,' e.g., 640kB, meant "bytes."

Is this correct? If it is, then the confusion of these is a mistake I see
quite frequently, too.

Incidentally, I agree with Giorgos - "mebibits?" I'm all for being
technically correct, but correctness at the expense of clarity is probably
not the best idea. Mebibits is not in any of my standard English
dictionaries. If I saw the term outside the context of this discussion, I
would have no idea what was being said.

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM