Date:      Mon, 22 Oct 2007 18:42:14 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is it difficult to move from Linux?

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 07:33:57PM +0100, Donovan R. Palmer wrote:

> I have been using Linux for over 10 years, but have for a number of reasons
> become very interested in learning to use FreeBSD. Are there any ex or
> current Linux users here and could you tell me how hard it is to make the
> shift from Linux?  Is there anything in particular which has been written
> which would be useful to read?

I found it dead easy -- much, much easier than making the switch from MS
Windows to Linux was.

The best source of information on FreeBSD for new FreeBSD users is, in my
opinion, the FreeBSD handbook:

  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

Another excellent source of information is The Complete FreeBSD:

  http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/CFBSD/

There are a couple other books out there that I've found to be quite
excellent, as well.

In general, I think you'll find much of the differences between most
Linux distributions and FreeBSD quite minor, but a touch strange at
first, and in the long run very positive.  At least, that's my
experience.

They always say that when life gives you lemons you should make lemonade.
I always wonder -- isn't the lemonade going to suck if life doesn't give
you any sugar?