Date:      Mon, 08 Apr 2002 10:40:48 -0400
From:      "Jonathan Arnold" <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Startx, xdm, and kdm Danger???

>I want KDE to automatically run at system boot up and present me with its
>native login screen before taking the user to the KDE desktop.  I want to
>accomplish this in the most effective and efficient way possible.

Then you want to run kdm, not xdm. Again, just do what the handbook says
for running xdm and replace it with the path to kdm, and you're all set.

>> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-xdm.html

And as it is just the login (or display) manager, you can still run=
 whatever
window GUI you want. In fact, kdm h a nice drop down to let you select at
login time which one to run, although I never played with it.
--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD weblog: