Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 1995 16:01:57 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        tdoyle@sunbelt.net (Edward "Ted" Doyle)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: EIDE support in version 2.0.5 and install problems

Edward "Ted" Doyle stands accused of saying:
>    My old version, FREEBSD 1.1, did not work
> any more.  I understand that, the reason is that
> version 1.1 does not support Enhanced IDE
> controllers.  Does version 2.0.5 ??

Um, EIDE controllers are still IDE controllers, and provided they're
compatible, they still work.  I've certainly had no problem with several
different EIDE controllers.

>     I used a Windows FTP program to get all of
> the BIN files (bin.aa - bin.ch) and the man pages
> for version 2.0.5, as well as the root and boot
> floppy images.  I put the binaries and man pages
> in a DOS partition on my hard drive.  The install-
> ation program starts up and runs fine. When it is
> installing the BIN files until it gets to 68%
> completed, I get an error message:
>
> 'Write failure on transfer! (wrote -1 bytes of 10240 bytes)'

This usually happens when you run out of disk space.  If you hit
alt-F4 at that point and say "df -k" to the shell there, what
do you see?

>    I am only trying to install the 'BIN' files and
> the manpages.  All together about fifty files of
> 200K each or about 10 megs assumming no compression.

There's actually 13M of compressed bindist, something like 25M uncompressed.

> Making an educated guess I figured out the file with
> the problem must be bin.bp, bin.bq or bin.bs.  I

If there's a problem with the bin files, you'll get errors from gzip on the
debugging console (alt-F2), as it's really touchy about corruption in its
input stream.  Turn on the extra-debugging flag on the options menu :
that may help pinpoint the problem.

>       1) Are Enhanced IDE drives supported in
>          version 2.0.5?

Within certain constraints, yes.  Particularly, you need your BIOS
geometry to match the FreeBSD geometry.  If you have DOS on the disk as
well, you should be fine, as the FreeBSD installer will use the same
geometry that DOS does.  (Unless you have Ontrack's Disk Manager installed...)

>       2) What is going wrong with my attempts
>          to install version 2.0.5?

I'd guess at the out-of-space problem, but I can't really be sure without
knowing more about what the extra debugging and df output had to say.

> -- Ted

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" - Terry Lambert                            [[