Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2001 22:06:28 +1100
From:      "e-Publisher's Weekly" <admin@kdhbooks.com>
To:        <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   e-Publisher's Weekly #4

                      e-publisher's Weekly : ISSUE # 4

                    kdhbooks - February 14, 2001
                    e-book publishing & marketing
                     http://www.kdhbooks.com

 Top Sponsor Advertisement:

Get Published Instantly with EbookoMatic.
Simple, affordable, secure. Upload manuscript.
Convert to ebook. Sell online within minutes.
Members receive $39.00 bonus!
Act now. Collect royalties. Become famous
www.EbookoMatic.net.
(Affiliates earn 20% on new memberships!).

 In this Issue

 1- From the Author
 2- eZine advertising
 3- ISBN number
 4- Featured Ebooks
 5- Merchant Accounts
 6- Ebook Publishing
 7- e-Interview
 8- Microsoft Reader Format
 9- Next Week

 1- From the Author:

If you have an 'e-book', 'website' or software you wish to have
reviewed here or like to be 'Interviewed, then send us an email
to: mailto:epw@kdhbooks.com .

Interviews will be as well featured on our website for general
public access.

 2- eZine Advertising:

Only three (3) more issues to go for our special rate.
4632 current subscribers to 'e-publisher's Weekly'.
Advertising categories are: Solo Ads, Top sponsors, Bottom Ads,
and Middle Ads.

Check out our rates card:
http://www.kdhbooks.com/ezinerates.htm

For the next four issues we will give our subscribers a %50
discount on all rates. Go here for details.
http://www.kdhbooks.com/specialrates.htm

The "special rates URL" will only be displayed in our weekly
'e-publisher's weekly' newsletter.

 3- How to obtain an ISBN number:

Why would you need an ISBN number for your ebooks? In order to
sell your publication on Amazon.com you will need one. But you
need to publish your book in hard/soft shell first. Depending
on the layout, Graphics and paper source you are going to use
it can come costly. Then after you have publish it the
conventional way you can go and apply for your ISBN number
here online :
http://www.bowker.com/standards/home/isbn/us/application.html
or print out the form and post it.
Ebooks will have either an ISBN or similar code to be identified
in the future.

Major Issues in the Implementation of the ISBN:
PRINTING THE ISBN: When the number is either written or
printed, it must be preceded by the letters "ISBN" and
each part must be separated by a hyphen.
read more about it here:
http://www.bowker.com/standards/home/isbn/us/major.html

 4 - Featured Ebooks:

- LARKIN, by Debby Hunt -

Larkin is the original story of a wealthy young girl named
Shannon O'Larkin, and her relationship with an obsessive
young man named Mike Sullivan. The relationship continues
even after he has murdered someone and has been committed
to a mental institution. Shannon thinks she is safe some
years later, and she has happily married to someone else.
But Mike escapes from the mental hospital. He comes after
Shannon with a calculated purpose, and her life will never
be the same again.

download here: http://www.exebook.com/personal/debbyhunt/

- The Enterprising Writer, by Michael Meanwell -

The Enterprising Writer’ shows you how to develop business
and literary skills, and employ the right principles for
running a successful enterprise.

- How to set up and launch a sustainable home-based business

- How to convert prospects into clients

- How to turn clients into advocates (this is the secret to
  the most powerful and inexpensive form of promotion)

- How to keep clients satisfied and happy to help build your
  business

- How to handle slow-paying and no-paying clients

- How to get organized and stay productive

- How to promote yourself online and offline

- How to achieve your writing dreams and enjoy working for
  yourself

This book is well written and offers more advice and
techniques than you will find anywhere for this price.
A HOT product for beginners and professionals alike.

go here to download it:

http://www.meanwellstore.com/

- 'Writers on Writing'.by Michael Meanwell -

Do you want to be inspired by the Masters of Writing?

Then you should read 'Writers on Writing'.
This unique book couples more than 360 poignant
quotations from classic and contemporary writers
with over 150 positive affirmations written by
me specifically for you, today's writer.

go here to download it:

http://www.meanwellstore.com/product22.htm

 5 - Merchant Accounts:

By now almost all or at least the majority of online users
have either heard or obtained a merchant account for processing
on-line orders for various products. It is a rather convenient
choice and in some instances " can cost more then you earn".
To open an merchant account at your local bank is a tedious
procedure and often you get turned down for reasons that might
be out of reach (for the moment).
That's where the on-line banks come into place, quick set-up,
low cost maintenance, and  a very attractive rate.

But how much are you really earning? By a rate of, will say,
7% and a additional fee of $1.50 per sale you are not earning
much if your product sales for around $10.00.

The "real" earner is the BANK. So, do the math and shop around
to get the best price.
Download some ebooks about merchant accounts here:
http://www.kdhbooks.com/ebooks/finance.htm
and make sure that "YOU" are getting the most return.

 6 - Ebook Publishing:

Ebook publishing is a revolution on the Internet, the future
of how we read books.
If you can publish a website, you can publish an ebook.
The advantage is that you have virtually no overhead cost,
only your software and Internet connection.
go here to download more info:
http://www.kdhbooks.com/ebooks/publishing.htm
If you are planning to publish an electronic magazine or/and
ebooks than this ebook will help you out almost in every way
possible. Click on the link below:

- E-Zines - a complete guide to publishing
- E-Zine publishing Handbook

http://www.kdhbooks.com/ebooks/ezine.htm

 7 - e-interview

Michael Meanwell, interviewed by Kathryn Hardman

you can read the article on our website at:
http://www.kdhbooks.com/interview/michael_meanwell.htm

Kathryn:

After 20 years in the writers business, how do you feel
about ePublishing?

Michael:

In a word, re-born. It has re-invigorated me and, funnily enough,
taken me full circle to what I wanted to do
-- and started doing -- as a teenager. Writing books.

It's a little strange, however, being both the author and the
publisher. Now there's no barrier at all to being published
but, with that, goes a layer of responsibility to ensure
content is at the highest level.

Having started my career as a newspaper reporter and sub-editor,
I am used to editing my own copy, so it hasn't been too difficult
a transition.

When dealing with the traditional publishing world, many writers
invest a lot of time, submitting their work to publishers, then
play the waiting-game. While the rules are different with
epublishing, there is still a considerable investment needed
to be successful. When I finished my first ebook, I joked to
a colleague that writing it was the easy part -- and I right
(the hard part was learning and developing a workable ebook
format, building the Web site and launching an ongoing
marketing campaign).

And that's true, even for authors who are handled by a third-party
epublisher. Often, they will be responsible for not only providing
the ebook in a professional, published format, but also arranging
reviews, publicity and online marketing.

ePublishing is, however, an exciting, evolving industry.
It's a wonderful experience to be in complete control of your
e-destiny.

-

please follow the link to the complete interview.

http://www.kdhbooks.com/interview/michael_meanwell.htm

or download as ebook (340 kb)

http://www.kdhbooks.com/interview/michael_meanwell.exe

 8 - Microsoft Reader Format
Publish in Microsoft Reader (LIT) format. If you can not or
don't want to buy www.readerworks.com publisher ($69.00), then
you can download for free the ebook publisher software direct
from Microsoft.
Only two catches: Must have Word2000 and you can not change
the ebook cover. Other than that it works straight from
within Word2000.
If you consider to publish ebooks in 'LIT' in the future, then
take it for a test drive.

http://www.microsoft.com/reader/

and don't forget to download the layout files !!!!

 9 - Next Week:
- eBook Compilers under the hood
- Competition
- get published
- affiliate programs

Get Published Instantly with EbookoMatic.
Simple, affordable, secure. Upload manuscript.
Convert to ebook. Sell online within minutes.
Members receive $39.00 bonus!
Act now. Collect royalties. Become famous.
http://www.EbookoMatic.net
(Affiliates earn 20% on new memberships!).

we hope that you have enjoyed reading our newsletter.

if you wish to un-subscribe send to: remove@kdhbooks.com

best regards

Kathryn Hardman