Date:      Sat, 17 May 1997 20:17:08 GMT
From:      Adam David <adam@veda.is>
To:        terry@lambert.ORG (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Backwards compatibiliy for isa_driver

>For ISA cards, we should plan for a future where all ISA cards
>are PnP.  In light of this, we need to make specific exception for
>ISA cards which are not PnP, and we need to do this at the driver
>probe level, and then only in the ISA specific driver case.

If we plan for a future where obsolete hardware does not exist, we are
not operating in the real world anymore. Of course, you can pretend in
software that a legacy ISA card is a special case of PnP, and this is
probably the way to go.

>I guess the last piece is to add PnP configuration code to the OS
>for when the BIOS does not support it.  I hesitate to suggest this,
>because I think the much more sane model is to flash the BIOS in
>the *vast* majority of cases, instead.

Not where this is not an option though.

--
Adam David <adam@veda.is>