Date:      Sun, 7 Feb 1999 15:18:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Wayne M. Barnes" <wayne@barnes1.wustl.edu>
Subject:   syscons.o crashes kernel build

Dear FreeBSD stabilizers,

   Starting from 2.2.8, I have been trying to get to 3.0-stable.

   Using /stand/sysinstall, I 'upgraded' to the smallest 3.0
       system to get the binaries.
   I downloaded the port-current and unpacked them.
   I cd'd to /usr/ports/net/cvsup to make all install.
       The cvsup install kindly noticed that my X11R6 was out
       of date, and updated it to 3.3.3; this was something I needed.
   I did a cvsup with cvs tag=RELENG_3
	  ( I also tried =. with the same result below)
   I performed a 'make world' which seemed to finish okay.

   [ This is not my main trouble report, but when I rebooted, I
   could not log in, as all my passwords were rejected.  Readonly
   inspection of /etc/master.passwd revealed no visible problems.
   /stand/sysinstall would not let me set the root password unless
   I performed a minimal binary install again.  This I did,
   and I had to delete my users from master.passwd and adduser them
   again.  Luckily, there weren't too many yet, and now I can
   reboot and log in. ]

   NOW THE TROUBLE STARTS

   When I try to build a new kernel, the build crashes with
references to syscons.o [ see APPENDIX below for screen dump ]
   I notice that this is coincident with the first paragraph of
/usr/src/UPDATING, which says syscons is being reworked.
I did the recommended 'make clean', which did not help.

   MY QUESTIONS ARE:

      1.  Am I the only one who can't build a kernel without
      these errors?

      2.  Is it possible to get a version without these errors?
      Also, I would like to have a new enough version
      of FreeBSD to have PCI device 'rl' supported.

      3.  Have I made some error or omission?

  Thank you for your attention,

Wayne M. Barnes, Ph.D.                        wayne@barnes1.wustl.edu
Biochemistry Dept. 8231
Washington Univ. Medical School               314.362.3351  fax 7183
660 South Euclid Ave., St. Louis, MO 63110
          http://barnes1.wustl.edu       Just plain Taq is old tech anymore.

  --- APPENDIX ---
Partial screen dump:
syscons.o(.text+0x56c5): undefined reference to `kbdsw'
syscons.o: In function `update_kbd_state':
syscons.o(.text+0x5729): undefined reference to `kbdsw'
syscons.o(.text+0x5780): undefined reference to `kbdsw'
syscons.o: In function `update_kbd_leds':
syscons.o(.text+0x57ca): undefined reference to `kbdsw'
syscons.o: In function `set_mode':
syscons.o(.text+0x5805): undefined reference to `vidsw'
syscons.o(.text+0x583f): undefined reference to `vidsw'
syscons.o(.text+0x58ca): undefined reference to `vidsw'
syscons.o(.text+0x5927): undefined reference to `vidsw'
syscons.o: In function `set_border':
syscons.o(.text+0x5957): undefined reference to `vidsw'
syscons.o(.text+0x5a98): more undefined references to `vidsw' follow
*** Error code 1

Stop.