Date:      Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:40:05 -0600
From:      Anthony Chavez <acc@anthonychavez.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stress testing and TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA

--=-=-=

On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 23:02:43 +0200 Matthias Buelow <mkb@incubus.de> wrote:

> Anthony Chavez wrote:
>
>> Sep  6 11:35:27 mybox kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying (2 retries left) LBA=8348191
> [...]
>> Has anyone who has experienced this pain found solace in 5-STABLE's ATA
>> drivers?
>
> Is this with the ATA mkIII patches?

As I mentioned in my first post to -questions, the system in question is
currently tracking RELENG_5 and is currently at version 5.4-RELEASE-p6.

I have applied Soeren's mkIII revsion n patchset, available at
http://people.freebsd.org/~sos/ATA/, and I'm still seeing the messages,
although *much* less frequently than before applying the patches.

The question I have is: should I revert back to an unaffected
5.x-RELEASE (which version would that be?) or should I consider tracking
5-STABLE instead?

> I assume you're acquainted with the ATA DMA timeout discussions of the
> last couple months concerning 5.x.

Yes, I have read through the discussions.  Is it safe yet to assume that
the issues (at least for the ICH controllers) have been fixed in
-CURRENT?

Thanks.

--
Anthony Chavez                                 http://anthonychavez.org/