Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2000 12:41:24 -0600 (CST)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
To:        Agent Drek <drek@MonsterByMistake.Com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: rm suid file?

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Agent Drek wrote:

> I don't understand something about file permissions ... and cannot
> find anything in the man pages so far. Here's the gist of what I was
> doing.
>
> hiphop# pwd
> /
> hiphop# mkdir foo
> hiphop# cp -p bin/rcp foo/
> cp: foo/rcp: Operation not permitted
> hiphop# ls -l foo/*
> -r-sr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  208536 Jan  7 20:37 foo/rcp

Use "ls -lo" to show the file flags (see the chflags(1) man page for
information on the flags and how to set/unset them).  The "schg" flag is
probably set, which prevents changes or deletions.

HTH,
Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer