Date:      Thu, 03 Jan 2002 12:03:37 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
Cc:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: openssh version

At 10:36 AM 1/1/2002, Robert Watson wrote:

>I've run into a related problem with SSH forwarding that occurs when a
>forwarded TCP connection takes a while to connect.  The problem is that
>apparently the OpenSSH sshd we ship discards data sent over a forwarded
>connection before all parts are completed.  If you're using forwarding
>connecting to a server with high latency, and on a client-driven protocol,
>you may lose some content on the connection.

You may also lose the connection. With older versions of OpenSSH, I frequently
see the client complain of a "truncated packet" (SSH has its own internal
packetized protocol) and drop the session. Sometimes this is just a minor
inconvenience -- for example, if I'm doing POP over the forwarded port I
sometimes find that the mail client becomes confused and/or does not filter
incoming messages properly. It's a bigger concern if I'm doing administration
and am cut off in midstream.

--Brett