Date:      Thu, 14 Nov 2013 14:11:34 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Mathias Picker <Mathias.Picker@virtual-earth.de>
Cc:        "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org Stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BETA3 running *hot* on my Acer 5553g (AMD Mobile Phenom)

On Wed, Nov 13, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Mathias Picker <
Mathias.Picker@virtual-earth.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-11-13 at 15:34 -0600, Mark Felder wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 13, 2013, at 6:16, Mathias Picker wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I just installed FreeBSD 10 BETA3 on my Acer 5553g, which before had
> > > 9-stable running.
> > >
> > > This laptop allways was quite hot, but with 9-stable it ran around 52C
> > > when idle...
> > > Now this is up to 60C, and when I actually use it the temp reaches 94C
> > > and it only survivies through throttling the cpu.
> > >
> > > I've switched of the descrete graphics card (which doesn't work with
> kms
> > > anyway) and use the hd4200 on the motherboard only. (see
> > > http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=29448)
> > >
> > > I tried everything I know, but have no idea where to go from here. I
> > > just ordered one of these horrible laptop-cooling stands, which will
> > > probably help the machine to survive, but also probably be very loud :(
> > >
> > > Any ideas, tips, help welcome.
> > >
> > > Some Infos:
> > >
> > > - the systems seems to use C1E (only C1 state visible)
> > > - dmesg: http://pastebin.com/NaEQXYBH
> > > loader.conf: http://pastebin.com/bnmqPak3
> > > rc.conf: http://pastebin.com/HKERzgde
> > > FreeBSD marcopolo 10.0-BETA3 FreeBSD 10.0-BETA3 #0 r257580: Sun Nov  3
> > > 19:43:01 UTC 2013     root@snap.freebsd.org:
> /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> > > amd64
> > >
> > > Anything else?
> > >
> > > Any help would be most welcome,
> > >
> > > Mathias
> >

> > I'm curious if you're running powerd or not
>
> With powerd.

Have you disabled throttling and p4tcc? (If not disabled, it is possible
that your system may hang with low Cx states.)

Have you set economy_cx_lowest and performance_cx_lowest  to "Cmax" (or
"LOW")?

Check "sysctl dev.cpu.N.usage" to make sure that los CX states are used. (N
is the CPU number.) Unless you are running a CPU intensive program, most
time should NO be in C1 and should be in you lowest Cx state. Also note
that on many systems you will have more and lower Cx states available when
on battery. (I think this is REALLY dumb, but the BIOS writers must have
some reason for it.)

Is your heat sync clean! I see temperature increase by 10C or more when it
gets dusty and it seems to be almost a step function. Seems fine and then,
quite suddenly, it gets hot.

Check your dmesg and make sure PowerNow (or whatever AMD calls EST) is
enabled.

The ONLY two features that really are sugnificant to power management is Cx
states (most important) and EST/PowerNOW (voltage/true frequency).
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com