Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 22:39:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        steve@khoral.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 and egcs

In article <199904282026.OAA13313@zen.alb.khoral.com>,
Steve Jorgensen  <steve@khoral.com> wrote:
> > In article <199904271932.NAA01643@zen.alb.khoral.com>,
> > Steve Jorgensen  <steve@khoral.com> wrote:
> > > 	I cvsup'ed and installed yesterday morning it's the third
> > > 	cvsup I've done since egcs went in, so I know it's working
> > > 	ok.  Anyway, I decided to update my XFree86 installation,
> > > 	and found that the port no longer works.  As it compiles
> > > 	all binaries created report tons of missing symbols
> > > 	from the various X library.  The wierd thing is that it
> > > 	still installs most of the X binaries anyway, and they work
> > > 	fine, but it dies when it gets to installing the X server
> > > 	itself.
[...]
> 	Ok, well in the interest of not sending large compile
> 	output to the news group, I've put an error log on
> 	my webserver with all the info in it:
>
> 	http://www.haunt.com/~steve/error.html

I took a look at it.  All those undefined symbols are supposed to be
in the "-lX11" library.  I don't really know why you're getting
them.  Maybe you have an older version of the library lying around
that is stripped?  Try a "locate libX11.so" and see what's there.
Then do "file libX11.so" on each one and see if it's stripped.

Maybe your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable is set, screwing up
the build?  Maybe you've got something funny in /etc/make.conf?

Sorry, these are just guesses.  I've never encountered the problem
you're reporting.

John
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong