Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 20:29:52 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new-bus/newconfig (was: Any success)

On Mon, 12 Apr 1999, Michael Robinson wrote:

> Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com> writes:
> >The reason device attachment points are not specified in the config file
> >is that I don't think the user should need to care how the hardware in
> >their machine works in order to get FreeBSD working.
>
> There's that "should" again.
>
> I think people generally agree that it would be nice if users did not need
> to know anything about their hardware to get FreeBSD working.  I think people
> also generally agree that there are many common situations where users will
> not, in fact, be able to get FreeBSD working if they do not know how their
> hardware works, or if they are not able to communicate that knowledge to the
> device configuration code.
>
> I don't think people generally understand, though, exactly how new-bus
> addresses the manual configuration problem, nor do people generally understand
> exactly how newconfig handles the automatic configuration problem.
>
> Could we get specific details on these specific points from the respective
> designers?

Manual configuration is done via 'probe hints' which are currently
prepared by config(8) but could be changed in the future to be loaded from
a text file by the bootstrap. A probe hint is just a familiar device
instance declaration, e.g.:

	controller ppc0 at isa? port ? tty irq 7

This information is stored in a very simple 'database' (I use the word
extremely loosely) which is bus-architecture neutral. As the ISA bus
device is probed, it queries the database for a list of devices to probe.

The same database could be easily used for 'device wiring' e.g. making
sure the fxp device at pci bus 0, slot 7 is always given unit 0 might look
like this (if I implement this feature):

	device fxp0 at pci0 slot 7

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com