Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:24:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      key@KSquared.NET
To:        "andrew morton" <drewish@katherinehouse.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Spontaneous reboot after ACPI shutdown

> I've been experiencing a strange problem and was wondering if anyone
> else had encountered it. I'm running 5.1-CURRENT (as of about two weeks
> ago) on an IBM A21e Thinkpad. For the most part ACPI seems to be working
> pretty well.
>
> When I shutdown the computer it powers off correctly and everything
> seems okay but about 5-10 minutes later it just turns itself back on. If
> the lid is shut the laptop assumes it's in docked mode and ignores the
> built-in keyboard and display forcing me to do a hard reset (if I've
> noticed it before the battery dies) and wait through the fsck.

I experienced this today with an IBM T21 and -CURRENT cvsup'ed as of
2003.11.21.03.23.00 that I just finished building/installing (from
5.1-RELEASE).  I stepped into the room and heard my T21's fan running.
I could have sworn I powered it off earlier.  Shut it down (again)
and came back about 15 minutes later and it was running.  This time
I knew I'd powered off.  I rebooted and selected "No ACPI" from the
startup menu and shutdown, hoping ACPI was the culprit (I'm new to
5.x) It did it again!  My fix was booting and then shutdown in Win2K.
I'll try your method of powering down out of the boot loader next time.

I was just starting to research the mailing lists when I saw your message.
No ideas on fixes but you are not alone.  It was a very weird start
to my morning today.

Regards,
K^2