Date:      Fri, 17 Dec 1999 20:49:45 -0000
From:      "Cliff Rowley" <dozprompt@onsea.com>
To:        "Martin Welk" <mw@theatre.sax.de>, "death" <death@southcom.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: DFE-530TX NIC - fast receive, slow send

> Another thhing: could it be that some PCI adapter cards have to
> share IRQs?
> IRQ sharing is well-defined for PCI and they should be able to do so, but
> we always try to avoid it for performance reasons because if there's one
> unique IRQ for each device, no one has to decide and look which one it
> probably was.

No idea, I dont know a lot about hardware in that detail, but I shall
investigate that for sure.  It sounds mildly logical, but obviously I cant
confirm that for myself until I've at least tried it.

> All of those Ethernet adapters I told you from in other mails have
> single IRQs :-) (Even the three ones in my desktop machine at work,
> and the other three ones in a little server machine - of course,
> the seven de interfaces in one machine (a single port card, a twin
> port card, a quad port card) don't have, but this machine doesn only some
> Ethernet routing to an uplink that's currently limited to 2 mbit/sec, so
> I don't care about performance that much.

I've ditched the FA310TX originally for the LNE100TX, and I've now got a
3c905C, with another on it's way.  We'll see again once I have another 3Com
in another machine.

Thanks for your input.

Cliff