Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 2003 12:55:24 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Larry Sica <lomion@mac.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dillon@'s commit bit: I object

At 12:22 PM 2/4/2003, Larry Sica wrote:

>One thing i want to make clear though, the idea of core is something i
>would never advocate even thinking of
>  abandoning.  I just dont think that because i dont have a commit bit
>and am not a developer that i am less valuable.

The IDEA of having a core group of developers is good. The current
IMPLEMENTATION, however, with that group running the entire project
undemocratically rather than being one of several arms of the project,
is what seems to lead to problems such as this. In the instant
controversy, there'd be a Board of Directors separate from -core
which could call a halt to the bickering, insist upon disclosure of
the issues, and insist upon a solution that is of maximum benefit to
the whole community.

FreeBSD isn't of, by, and for only the self-selecting group of people
who happen to have commit bits. The governance of the project should
reflect that.

--Brett Glass