Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 1997 00:13:14 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Out of mount flags in mount.h

I was porting some Whistle changes to -current, when I suddenly
came up a show-stopper bug.
we are out of flag bits.

In other words we have run out of bits to describe how a
filesystem might be mounted.
(e.g. nosuid, noexec, readonly, etc.)

does anyone have any suggestions about how to fix this?
I notice that mount.c in src/sbin/mount has room for something called
the "alt_flags". Is this an attempt to get around this?

somehow I want to be able to mount a partition with my SUID-directory
changes, but while it fits under 2.2.5 (what we use)
I can't migrate it forward to 3.0..

suggestions gratefuly received.
rewriting every function and program that uses the mount flags
is going to be grim.. maybe just define it to be quad_t?
Migration would be a pain..

julian