Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 13:24:04 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Didier Derny <didier@omnix.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD dead ?

On Fri 2000-03-10 (11:02), Didier Derny wrote:
> I've just read the announcement of the merge of BSDI and Walnut Creek
> CDROM. (March 10 2000).
>
> I guess it's a sad day for FreeBSD. I can't imagine how a company selling
> it's own BSD could at the same time let another BSD free.

Let's hope your mailbox doesn't get filled with replies.

Which announcement did you read?  You really should read the
daemonnews one, as it covers a lot of stuff that should reassure
you.  The slashdot interviews with Bob, Jordan, and Mike should
also do so.  In my discussions with the various stakeholders, I
must say I'm confident of this move.

> I think it is time to think to something else NetBSD ? OpenBSD ? Linux
> (which one?)

One of the things that I can assure you, is that if anything untoward
occurs (which I'm sure will not) it's easy enough to just rename
the project and carry on with the existing code.  There's nothing
that can be done to prevent it, and you'd basically have FreeBSD
again.  Walnut Creek doesn't own FreeBSD, so BSDI can't buy FreeBSD
via Walnut Creek.

So, no, FreeBSD certainly isn't dead.  If anything, things will
become even more lively! (:

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner